We never appreciate simple meal like this when we were kids... hmm...sigh...
- whole fish - marinade with tumeric and salt
- 2 tablespoon of asam jawa paste (tamarind)
- 1 brown onion - thinly sliced
- 1 inch ginger - julliene
- kicap manis/ sweet soy sauce
- Oil for deep frying the fish
Clean the fish and pat dry with kitchen towel. Season the fish with tumeric and salt. Set aside. Heat some oil in a wok...sufficient to deep fry the fish until golden in colour. Drain the oil and leave about 2 tablespoon in the wok. Saute the ginger until slightly golden brown, then add sliced onion. Saute until the onion is soft. Add the tamarind juice (add water) and lastly kicap manis. Season with salt. The final taste should be a little tangy with the asam or sour taste and sweet.....Enjoy....