Chicken Rice is one of the favourite rice dishes among Malaysians...Some serve their Chicken Rice with fried chicken and chilli sauce... but we prefer to have our Chicken Rice with 'steam' chicken... Preparing chicken and rice is not as tedious as it looked... but preparing the varieties of condiments may be time consuming... but the end result is... satisfying ... wholesome... meal for the family.
For the chicken:
- 1 whole chicken - wash and clean. Reserve the chicken fat
In a big pot, bring water to boil. Gently lower down the chicken into the pot and bring to boil again for another 10 minutes. Turn off the gas or heat, cover the pot and leave it for at least 40 minutes (note: the time mentioned is based on medium size chicken). Drain the water and soak the chicken in cold water (to stop further cooking).
Pour Oyster sauce mix over the chopped chicken and beansprout.
For the Rice
- 2 cups of long grain rice
- 2 inches of ginger - jullienne
- chicken fat (reserved from the chicken above)
- 2 1/2 cups of chicken stock (water add Maggi chicken stock)
- 2 knotted screwpine leaves or daun pandan
- salt to taste
Naughty note: fried chicken fat ~ so yummy and crispy ....
Mix everything (not the fried fat!!) in a rice cooker...
Serve Chicken Rice with sliced cucumbers, blanched beansprouts and other condiments...