Crispy Skin Salmon with Cha Soba

October 21, 2010

cha-soba

I am an impulsive shopper (always happened when I don't have my shopping list with me!!)... if I see things I have not seen or tried before... I'll pick it up... have a quick 'read' and straight goes in my shopping trolley ... then those item/s will 'hibernate' in my larder/ freezer until I found the mood or a good recipe to go with it... like this Cha Soba and a packet of  frozen Edamame...


This is the first time I see 'Green Tea' Soba sold in our local Asian Grocer... fascinated, I bought 2 packets and that was many moons ago (more than 6 moons ago). Japanese loves their soba cold ...  Soba is bland compared to udon and I, personally prefer udon than soba...

Bingo!!!... Flipping through Donna Hay Spring issue I finally... found the recipe that goes well with 'cold' soba... ~ Crispy Skin Salmon with chilli salt...  broth and soba are my version ... to make our meal complete   :)


A bowl of Cha soba and Edamame

So I get cracking in my kitchen, preparing Cha Soba, Edamame and broth... leave aside... This recipe is so easy...  prepare noodles and edamame hours earlier... only cook the salmon when we are about to sit down for dinner...

But for photography sake...I had to cook 1 portion of salmon much earlier.... otherwise the light will not be favourable and the hungry kids will grumble as they will not get to eat until mom finish with her 'photo' session..  surprisingly... the skin was still crispy when I had it for dinner hours later... :)

This recipe will definitely be in my recipe collection folder... and Mr H has requested me to make this dish again when my father-in-law is here next week... 

  • Cha or green tea soba Hakubaku noodle - cooked as per packet instruction
  • 1 packet of frozen edamame - thawed and cooked as per packet instruction

Chilli Salt
  • 1 tablespoon of seasalt flakes
  • 1 teaspoon of chili flakes

Broth:
  • 3 cups of water
  • 10g or 1 packet of bonito powder
  • 1/4 cup of light soya sauce
  • 1/4 cup of sushi vinegar

Crispy skin salmon
  • 4 salmon fillets - skin on
  • vegetable oil

Mix the chilli salt and put aside

Bring water to boil and add bonito powder, soy sauce and sushi vinegar. Bring to a second boil and simmer on slow fire for 5 minutes. Put aside

Using a sharp knife, score the skin of the salmon. Rub with vegetable oil and sprinkle with salt. Heat a non-stick pan over high heat. Cook the salmon -skin side first for 3 minutes, then turn and cook for another 2 minutes or to your liking.

Divide the Cha Soba noodle between bowls, ladle broth, top up with edamame and salmon. Sprinkle some chilli salt over the salmon and noodles... Serve the crispy skin salmon immediately.

Comments

  1. I love the entire dish, including the crispy skin salmon, of course !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathryn,
    Thanks for the invite... unfortunately I am in Australia :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely recipe! I love the crispy skin of the salmon!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the presentation of the noodles and edamame!

    ReplyDelete