My first 'Food' post for 2011... and what a better way to start 2011 with a humble yet refreshing Sour Fish Soup from Cambodia... plus I have 3 Souvenirs from Cambodia to give away to 3 lucky readers...anywhere in the world... just scroll down ... after the recipe... to enter the draw.
There is quite a distinctive similarity in Cambodian and Thai food..oops... I could be in hot soup for the statement... Cambodian uses a lot of fresh ingredients in their cooking ~ lemongrass, galangal, kaffir lime leaves and so forth. They consumed plenty of fish ... fresh from Lake Tonle Sap ... Sap means freshwater... Fish is much cheaper and easier to get than any other meat... eg chickens were sold for US$4.50/kg... and the average wages for a busy tour guide could be from US$250-300 per month while the rest could be earning about US$100/ month...lets do our maths...
I asked our Tour Driver, Rhowan, what is a typical Khmer food? Flat Rice Noodles in Vegetable Broth, Fish cakes and many more but Fish Sour Soup is his favourite dish...
So this my take on Fish Sour Soup... from our recent trip to Siem Reap click here ..to go to our Holiday Post.
4 pieces of firm white fish - cut into 3 cm.3 tablespoon of tamarind juice3 lemongrass stalks - bruised it with the back of a knife2cm of fresh galangal2 coriander roots -washed and slightly bruised it with knife1/2 brown onion - sliced2 bird's eye chillies (optional)2-3 tablespoon fish sauce2 kaffir lime leaves1 -1.5 liter of waterJuice of 1 limefresh coriander for garnishing
- Place water, lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, tamarind juice, galangal, onion and coriander roots in a medium size pot. Bring to boil, then lower the heat and bring to a simmer for at least 10-15 minutes, to infuse the flavours of the fresh ingredients.
- Add fish sauce (and salt if required).
- Lastly add fish.
- Bring to a quick boil and turn off the heat.
Garnish with chopped fresh coriander and serve with steamed rice. Add more lime juice... if sourness is desired.
Cambodians Souvenirs to Giveaway.
My dear readers,
I have 3 items to giveaway... A soft Cambodian silk scarf, a set of beautiful chopsticks and a lovely embroidered purse.
For a chance to win... do one of the following or all 3... and increase your chance to be the proud owner of one of these items...
- Leave your name (or email address) in my comment box... No Anonymous please... it will be a difficult task for me to identify.. who is who if I have more than one anonymous... or
- Follow @mykeuken here on Twitter and tweet "@mykeuken Cambodian Souvenirs Giveaway' or
- do all of the above and you get 3 chances in the 'hat' ...
Giveaways are open to anyone anywhere on this planet... reachable by Mr Mailman... and this offer ends at Midnight (Perth Time) 2nd February 2011 ( I like the number 02.02.2011)... so be quick... and Good Luck...
Winners will be chosen by using Random.org.