Apple Fritters with Ice-Cream

July 20, 2011
Apple Fritters with Vanilla Ice-cream.

Decadent, more-ish, easy to cook  Apple Fritters with Vanilla Ice-cream.

What will you do when you have green apples and can't be bothered to whipped up apple pie?
On my lazy days... fritters will be the answer... only upon request from either D or E or H, then I would roll up my sleeves and start making apple pie.

I am not keen on deep frying food, first ~ the deep fried food tend to splatter and I have a whole stove to clean plus the floor ... and secondly, its not good for health...
Occasionally... I will not say no to fritters either...

My late father, GOD bless his soul... on his pay day every month, would come home with 2 bags of goodies... 1 bag of banana fritters and 1 mixed bag of sweet potatoes fritters, tapioca fritters and yam fritters. I loved them all. Sometimes he would come home with Goreng Sukun or Breadfruit fritters (seasonal).

The fritters were fried to perfection... golden colour, crunchy on the outside. And I loved the crunchy fried batter too... My siblings and I used to 'fight' over the crunchy loose bits.... until my dad had enough of our 'uncivilised' behaviour... he would asked from the vendors for an extra bags of just the crunchy loose bits .... called kerak in Malay. Kerak ~ 'droplets' or excess batter, that goes into the hot frying oil, hence deep fried along with the fritters.

Then I moved out from my hometown, Alor Setar to Kuala Lumpur, the fritters weren't the same anymore...

What's the secret ingredient in the Batter from Alor Setar?...

apple fritters

The batter is made of rice flour, water with salt added. But the 1 teaspoonful of air kapur or slaked lime water will give the batter its extra crunch...
Kapur or slaked lime or Calcium Hydroxide is used in the cooking...and that is the secret...  click here to find out more.

The price of banana has skyrocket, and sweet potatoes are equally expensive in winter... there's no way that I would buy them now. My alternative is to use Granny Smiths apples, supplies are abundant and much... much cheaper in price  ...
And since the batter uses rice flour instead of plain flour.... makes these gorgeous little delights... gluten -free fritters too.

These golden Apple Fritters are excellent as afternoon tea... even in our cold Perth winter

Apple Fritters with Vanilla Ice-cream recipe

2 Granny Smiths Apples
1 cup rice flour
1 teaspoon air kapur or slaked lime water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup water (add 1 tablespoon if it is too thick)
juice of 1 lemon
oil for deep frying
Vanilla Icecream
Crunchy Bar chocolate
icing sugar
ground cinnamon
  1. Squeeze some lemon juice into a bowl of water.
  2. Peel and slice the granny smith into thick slices. Soak the slices in lemon water for few minutes.
  3. Mix the rice flour, air kapur or slaked lime water, water and salt into a thick batter.
  4. Heat up oil to 190C on sugar thermometer.
  5. Pat dry the apple slices and dip into batter and straight into the smoking hot pot.
  6. Deep fry until golden in colour
  7. Dish out onto the kitchen paper.
  8. To serve ~ Either sprinkle some icing sugar and ground cinnamon or top up with a scoop of store bought Vanilla Icecream and sprinkle some crushed Crunchy Bar.

Comments

  1. A delicious treat! I'm in dessert paradize.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow ...thatz a real cool recipe !! Luv it !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy...what a good idea..using locally available fruits. I'd never had sukun before. Is it like goreng cempedak ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rosa
    ideal for long hot summer days :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. lina
    aahhh... I crave for goreng cempedak...now that you mention it. Sukun does not taste like cempedak... its spongy, a bit 'lemak'ish..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this one, looks so good :) How about I bring my ice cream over and share with you?...heheee...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely shot! I have an urge to grab the fork : ).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! I found your blog through a link by Family Fresh Cooking. What a fun place to visit! I love fritters, though these don't look like what we eat here in the US, but it looks sooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lisa, have I mentioned that I really love photography? Yes, I really do. They are making my mouth water...this is how I define a good photo.
    I would love this NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Something I will thoroughly enjoy! Love the hot-cold idea.Cant wait for winters now to get some good apples!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kirstin
    Thank you for dropping by.
    Would love to learn how you enjoy fritters overthere in the US... :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Angie
    awww... Angie, thank you *blushing*

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am totally with you on the frying thing. I once started a fire deep frying and after that I have been terribly afraid to try it again. I cant believe you made such beautiful fritters without deep frying. I will keep this recipe in mind as my apple trees have just started growing little baby apples that will be ready in a few months.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  14. Am drooling lar Lisa.... ; ) and yes, I love "kerak" too :P

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can we get sukun here? I love fried sukun without batter, just salt and tumeric powder, slice thinly just like my late mom used to make. Beside frying it mom used to make sukun into pengat sukut (without santan, tak tahu apa orang panggil, just rebus n letak gula n daun pandan sampai jd mcm caramel).

    Beside frying the normal things she like to fry some nenas too and of course during the chinese new year season, fried kuih bakul with yam. Yummeh. Here in Perth I get my pineapple fritters from Red Rooster. Not as good as my mom's fritter lah..

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nak!! When you mentioned "1 bag of banana fritters and 1 mixed bag of sweet potatoes fritters, tapioca fritters and yam fritters..." I could imagine them and I really miss eating them! And of course the crunchy bits!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Heavenly Housewife
    errrr... I did deep fry them ...:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nish
    hey Nish... you boleh makan sebanyak yg boleh ... now that you are back in Msia... I yang jealous ;P

    ReplyDelete
  19. Flower
    Have not seen sukun here yet... kalau jumpa cempedak pun bagus kan?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Leemei
    hahaha ... you are not alone my dear... I pun miss eating the Kedah goreng pisang, ubi etc :(

    ReplyDelete
  21. not forgetting goreng chempedak! lisa, did you make your own air kapur?

    ReplyDelete
  22. lena
    I bought kapur from Vietnamese grocer :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. If only I could just fry the apples (without other ingredients*), really...I would not bother with apple pie and would just eat pan-fried apples with ice-cream

    * I don't have most of the ingredients - not because I want to skip them! :O

    ReplyDelete
  24. Tigerfish
    That will be nice too~panfried apples with ice-cream :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. How cool!! I love this idea, Lisa! And after I see more and more of your posts... I start to feel I need to improve my pictures somehow.... Your photos are so inviting and CLEAR. I don't know how to explain the feeling I get... it's like transparent. I think you use macro lens, right? I have one and was using it before, but lately I changed to different lens. I need to re-study how to use macro lens better. I love most of your bakcground is perfectly blur while your focus is cristal clear. So much to learn from you site!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Nami
    Thank you..:D
    Macro lens is my dream lens (in my wish list... perhaps Mr Santa will bring me this Xmas; keeping fingers and toes cross ;P)
    For food photos... I use 50mm 1.4 lens most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Lisa,
    The air kapur in your recipe is white lime stone paste ? - http://vasineefoodcorp.com/product.php?pid=D30745

    Do we use it directly or do we have to dilute it with water first b4 using ?

    Regards,
    Susanna

    ReplyDelete
  28. looks the same, I brought mine from Malaysia.
    The paste sometimes comes in very dry and cakey, what I did was to add about 2 tablespoons of water into the tub. mix it in lightly and use it.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thks for ur quick reply, Lisa! :)
    After diluting the lime paste with water - how long can we keep it?

    Regards ,
    Susanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you mean the tub?
      My mom used to keep them for years, but I wont suggest for that very long, perhaps a year at best.

      Delete
  30. Hi Lisa,
    U mention earlier tht u diluted the lime paste (100g in tub ) with 2 tbs water
    - since we only use 1 tsp of this mixture,
    - the remainder ( lime paste + water ) mixture can keep for further 1 year?

    Sorry, yah to bother u with so many questions!

    Regards,
    Susanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries Susanna... that is correct :) it can keep for a long time. I still have mine in the pantry, bone dry and no mould.

      Delete
  31. Thks, Lisa for ur patience in answering all my queries! :)

    Regards,
    Susanna

    ReplyDelete